The McCall House was originally built for Captain John McCall and his wife Lizzie in 1883. John made his fortune as a gold prospector and later became one of Ashland’s most prominent citizens, founding the Ashland Woolen Mill, Ashland Library, Ashland Daily Tidings and the Bank of Ashland. John served as Mayor of Ashland and on the Oregon State Legislature. During the Civil War he served as a cavalry lieutenant and captain and was later promoted to Brigadier General of the Oregon State Militia.
Ever patriotic, John married Mary Elizabeth Anderson on July 4, 1876. A true pioneer, Lizzie was a suffragette who had traveled by ox team from Iowa to Ashland. Together the McCalls raised four children; Lydia, Elsie, John Junior and Lizzie’s adopted daughter, Anna. Their stately Victorian era home was the setting for many social events and hosted many visiting dignitaries including William Jennings Bryan, President Rutherford B. Hayes, and General William T. Sherman.
After John and Lizzie passed away, the house was handed down to Anna Anderson and Lydia McCall. In 1980, noted Shakespearean actress, Phyllis Courtney purchased the home and lovingly began restoration. In 1981 the McCall House opened its doors to the first inn guests, and began a history that continues today. Just as in days of old, The McCall House is noted for its splendid hospitality and most gracious guests. Owners Bill, Millis and the McLaughlin family has completely restored the McCall House to its full Victorian splendor while modernizing the home with the comforts and amenities expected by twenty-first century travelers. Come be part of the history of the McCall House!